Galations 5:22

But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Galations 5:22

Looking for the TUESDAY TO DO PARTY?

The Blackberry Vine
CLICK PICTURES FOR CURRENT PARTY

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Family Sign

So the short version of "why I made this sign," goes something like this...
We have a family reunion every two years.  At the last one (or maybe it was the one before,) they had an auction to raise money to help cover reunion costs and to help cover the upkeep costs of the old family cemetary.  Good idea.  I definitely wanted to contribute this year, but wasn't sure what I might do.  Most items are "family" related so I came up with this sign!


 With images of a good-hearted bidding war going on in my head I started to work on the sign.  I collected the items I would need:
a ready made wooden sign board (Hobby Lobby - $6.99)
Chip Board Letters (Hobby Lobby - $ .99 each)
wood glue
gesso
acrylic paint
acrylic float
assorted brushes
paper towels

At Hobby Lobby, I tried out the chip board letters on the sign to make sure they would fit.  My current surname will not fit on the boards they offered at Hobby Lobby...maybe another craft supply store will have something or, gulp, I could make my own (not anytime soon!) 
 When I got home I made light  pencil marks on the board, top and bottom, to be sure I kept the letters straight and centered on the board.  A light sanding might not be such a bad idea either, but I was pressed for time and skipped the sanding.



Once I had every thing nice and centered, I simply glued the chip board letters to the board with wood glue.


All nice and neat!


Once the letters had a chance to dry I coated the whole sign with gesso...seemed to give the whole sign the same texture.


Next I painted it with a gray blue paint.  Then I lightly sanded it.  It just wasn't quite the look I wanted so I painted the whole thing red.  Again, I lightly sanded it. 
Once the red paint had dried, I painted over it with black acrylic mixed with float.
While it was still wet, I used the paper towels to wipe it off.
Love the way it turned out!


Oh, did I mention that when I got the family newsletter with all of the reunion details that I didn't read it?  Did I mention that once I got to the reunion with my cute little sign that I was met with a puzzled look by the reunion coordinator?   Yea, no auction this year.
Congrats to mom & dad for being the winning bidders proud new owners of the family sign!

Stop by the Tuesday To Do Party and link up your latest creative endeavor!

Smiles!!!!

Linking to many of the fun parties listed on my side bar...come join me!
Follow Me on Pinterest

18 comments:

Adrianne Surian said...

This is gorgeous!! Must make - our last name is also 6 letters, so I can actually swing it with the same supplies! :)

Happy to be your newest follower,
Adrianne
happyhourprojects.blogspot.com

Entertaining Women said...

This would also be a neat gift for birthdays for the kids' friends...first names would be cool, too. Thanks for sharing your neat idea. ILY Cherry Kay

Unknown said...

That is really cute! Thanks for sharing the idea!

Lauryn Ashli said...

i love this! awesome rustic addition with the black on the edges. i am a new follower!


lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

it turned out beautiful! great job

SV said...

I'm so glad I found your blog and linky party! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little part of the blog world :-)

Lindsay said...

I LOVE this! What an adorable way to display your family name!

Venassa said...

I dont know what gesso and float are, but I think I need to learn. Such a cute sign!

Tammy said...

Looks great! Mom and Dad deserve it don't ya think;)

Kelly said...

I've never seen a sign done this way....wonderful!


Kelly

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Lovely! I know mom and dad were thrilled and next year the auction will go on!! Visiting from TPS!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice job.

Lisa said...

We always have auctions at our family reunions and this is a great item! Homemade, family type items always sell for more money! Thanks for sharing. :)

visiting from www.hsdays.blogspot.com

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Oh wow! Super stinkin' cute! Lovin' the red!

Laura@everydayeasy said...

I love it!!

Growing Up Gardner said...

this is a great idea. visiting from showcase sunday!

http://www.growingupgardner4.blogspot.com

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Cute idea! Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Very cute idea!!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!! I would love it if you joined me again tomorrow! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails