Galations 5:22

But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Galations 5:22

Looking for the TUESDAY TO DO PARTY?

The Blackberry Vine
CLICK PICTURES FOR CURRENT PARTY

Friday, August 27, 2010

Apple Pie Bars

These Apple Pie Bars are so good! I found the recipe in this month's Family Fun magazine.  It was developed by one of their staffers, Sandy Wickland AND it is amazing!  Her original recipe has the directions for making the pastry which will fit in a jelly roll pan.  I couldn't wait to make the pastry so I used refrigerated pie crust and made them in a 13.5 x 9.5 Pyrex pan.  Worked just fine.  Here is my abbreviated version:
Ingredients:

Refrigerated Pie Crust

Filling
1 3/4 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
8 cups peeled and slicd cooking apples (her recipe recommends McIntosh/I used Granny Smith)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is worth it)

Topping
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Roll out one portion of refrigerated pie crust to cover Pyrex dish. 
Sprinkle with crushed cornflakes then top with sliced apples.
Mix sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg in small bowl then sprinkle over apples.
Top with other pie crust (rolled out to fit.)
Brush beaten egg over top of dough.   Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture under "Topping."
Bake until pastry is lightly browned about 45 minutes.  Let it cool for one hour.  Mix confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract to make a glaze.  Drizzle on cooled pastry.  Cut into squares.  (You'll be amazed by how cleanly these cut!)

Enjoy!

PS.  If you don't already subscribe, you should definitely check out the Family Fun website.  It has tons of great ideas for families and kids!

7 comments:

Entertaining Women said...

Well, yummmm! Cherry Kay

KimMalk said...

These look absolutely fabulous. I'd love to try them.

Screaming Meme said...

Just noticed that you were from TX! Yay! I am too...It is nice to visit TX blogs...

Erin said...

This looks so delicious! I love that magazing and get tons of great ideas from it too.

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Oh my! Those look amazing!!! I'm adding this to the list of things I want to try!

Prairie Story said...

These look amazing... I can only imagine how yummy they are. Do the cornflakes stay a little crunchy? (PS did you notice the Recipe Swap I hold on Thursday @ http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/?)

Joni said...

These look delicious. I am definitely bookmarking this page. If it wasn't 8:00 at night I would make them tonight :) YUM!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails